Thinking of starting a business?


Thinking of starting a business?

If you’re thinking of starting a business in the Coffs Harbour local government area, you can find a range of helpful information in NSW Government’s comprehensive guide to starting up your business.

The federal government’s starting a business guide will also help you through each step.

Register your business

If you’re starting a business, you’ll need to apply for an Australian Business Number/ Tax File Number with the Australian Business Register.

Depending on your business structure, you may need to apply for an Australian Company Number with ASIC. If you plan to trade under a name other than your own, you must register a business name with ASIC. You can also register as an employer with the Australian Taxation Office.


Permits and licences

To conduct business activities in the Coffs Harbour Local Government Area there are a variety of permits, approvals, licences and registrations you’ll need depending on the type of business.

The Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) guided search can help you find the right information on licences, regulations, council approvals and compliance requirements to help you start, grow or close your business.

You may also need permits or permissions from other organisations. For example, if you plan to serve alcohol you’ll need a liquor licence from the Liquor and Gaming NSW.